You feel something good has happened when you visit a woodland recently treated with controlled burning. Newly unobstructed sunlight warms the forest floor. Wildflowers, fruit-bearing bushes, and fresh grass everywhere reach out of the ash-nourished soil. The passing fire has pruned low branches and opened your view to the influx of exalting birds and bustling forest creatures. It’s a landscape responding to care, and you can feel it thrive.
Properly tending America’s woodlands and grasslands periodically requires careful, selective burning. Yet in much of America, the practice of controlled burning is a lost art. That art, more than ever informed and credited by modern science, dearly needs a restoration.
Wildland Restoration International is restoring and advancing that art, at home and abroad. We tend to the needs of afflicted natural areas, revitalizing wildlife habitat, defending drinking water sources, and protecting fresh air.
Contributing effort and resources to controlled burning helps the human spirit thrive as well. For the WRI staff conducting controlled burns, the process is physically engaging and intellectually invigorating, and delivers the rewards that come with service to neighboring communities and to the planet. Financial supporters of WRI are rewarded with the satisfaction of contributions that rapidly return numerous benefits:
- Healthy landscapes that are inviting to family gathering, recreation, and contemplation;
- Drinking water reservoirs and healthy air protected from catastrophic wildfire;
- Neighboring communities prospering from the commerce of visiting sportswomen and men, birdwatchers, campers, and all manner of outdoor recreation enthusiasts, each attracted to these wildlife havens made resilient by controlled burning.
Forests, prairies, and their resident wildlife need our proactive care to help them survive and adapt to the changes the world is undergoing. And people need these wisely tended landscapes for our own mental and physical well-being.
Join us in our commitment to restore and protect our natural environment! Our work depends on your support. The health and well-being of you and yours depends on our work. We are in this together. Please donate to WRI’s efforts to care for our land, from sea to shining sea.
Just this year, the cost of fighting catastrophic wildfire in the U.S. has topped $2 billion. IT DOESN’T HAVE TO BE THIS WAY.
How can controlled burning help?
Controlled Burning (aka Prescribed Burning)
- We choose the time & place.
- Safe & controlled.
- Natural restoration of healthy landscapes.
- Burns off excess vegetation so future unplanned fires do not become catastrophic.
- The landscape and wildlife respond quickly and are healthier for it.
- Scientifically prescribed and professionally managed.
- Dangerous & out of control.
- Severe wildfires cause extreme temperatures that harm plants and wildlife for years to come.